Welcome to West Haven Baptist Church. We are a place for families, college students, young professionals, senior adults, single adults, children and youth. We strive to be a place where Jesus Christ is worshiped, people find hope, and where everyone can grow their faith in a meaningful way. To get to know who we are as a church, it is important to know what we believe. Our Core Values are those things which shape our worship, our study, and our service to our Lord.
This we believe...
I. We believe in salvation through faith in Jesus Christ alone. Acts 4:12 - "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved."
2. We believe that the Bible is God's divinely inspired Word and contains truth without any mixture or error. 2 Timothy 3:16 - "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness."
3. We believe that God has called each believer to share the Gospel. We take seriously the call to bring the message of salvation to every race, nation, and culture. Matthew 28:19-20 - "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I
commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
4. We believe that God calls all believers to grow spiritually. 2 Peter 3:18 - "Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
5. We believe that all people are created to worship God and glorify Him through word and action. Colossians 3:17 - "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father."
6. We believe that healthy family relationships that are built on the solid foundation of Christian husbands and wives are God's plan for impacting culture. Ephesians 5:31 - "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."
7. We believe that we have been given the responsibility to serve others as the earthly expression of the body of Christ. John 13:34 - "A new commandment I give you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another."
We believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on the cross as payment for our sins, and rose from the dead on the third day. We believe that the only way a person can go to Heaven when he dies is to first place his faith in the payment that Jesus Christ provided with His shed blood on the cross. Once a person is saved by putting his faith in Jesus, we are commanded to be baptized by immersion to show to others what took place when we trusted Christ; we do this in obedience, not to save us but to show that we have been saved. We believe in participating in the Lord's Supper on a regular basis to remember the payment Jesus made for us and to express our love to Him for that payment.
We believe that the Bible is what it claims to be: the Word of God.
We take instruction from the Bible literally; we believe what it is actually saying, not that it is an allegory or a fable. We take instruction from the Bible in the areas of life and faith and go to it for the answers to life. In a day when opinion polls and media agendas steer our social conscience, we believe that we should first seek God's opinion on any subject before forming our own.
We believe that the family unit should be strong and healthy.
The first institution God made on earth was the family. Programs in the church are geared to help build strong families. West Haven Baptist Church provides fellowship, friendship, and support services through our social activities. We strive to be protective of our children.
We believe that the church should be the moral conscience of a community.
Since God created civil governments, we work hard to cooperate with, and work together with, our elected officials and civil servants.
We believe that the only requirements for church membership are salvation and baptism by immersion.
People who are saved and baptized at West Haven Baptist Church are voted in as members unless they request not to be. A person may join from another Baptist church by transfer.
We believe that it is our responsibility, as outlined in the Bible, to spread the Gospel to our area, nation, and world.
Mark 16:15, "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Matthew 28:19-20, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
We believe that a church should be filled, not with spectators, but participants.
We believe a church should be described as a spiritual hospital where people come for spiritual healing, not a spiritual museum where the relics of "Pharisee-ism" are displayed. We have a first-class way of doing things. We are careful stewards of God's money. We give an accurate accounting once a month of every check that is written: to whom, the amount, and the purpose of the check. We strive to be honest and respectable.
We believe God's business is the greatest business in the world.